Talking to my two favorite guys, Pete and Walter, owners of Zabrene Scapes Landscaping, the other day, I was happy to hear that the business is doing great. They are ready for Spring, and I hope that you are too! Pete reminded me that now is the time to get on the schedule if you want to Design or Redesign your Landscape this Spring.
During our conversation, I got to thinking about why you should hire a professional landscaper. Hiring an expert can make the project more manageable and less expensive in the long run, giving you more options and a more successful project overall.
I asked Pete just what is involved when you hire a landscaper. What type of questions should a homeowner have ready to ask? Pete got excited as he started talking to me about all the different stages a homeowner goes through, just getting to the point of calling them up. The main thing is their desire for something new. Something different. Maybe just fixing up what they already have or solving problems around the yard, like water issues (Rain Garden, anyone?). Most important are the advice and ideas they will get from an expert.
Before you call a landscaper, Pete suggested having notes on what you are looking to have done. Maybe some photos from magazines or Pinterest. Have a plat of your property for them to look at and a budget in mind.
Here are some reasons to consider hiring a professional landscaper:
- Experienced and experts in the field: Besides the plant knowledge, they also know “what to plant where” for success. Plus, they help you avoid pitfalls and have the resources to overcome obstacles.
- Ideas for helping turn dreams into reality: Having someone who can help you remain focused on your goals is essential. Landscape designers are trained and full of many terrific ideas.
- The All-Important Budget: Professional landscapers will help you create a beautiful oasis while keeping within your budget.
Zabrene Scapes offers A FREE in-home Estimate in most of the DC, MD, and VA area. Typically, once at your home, they will question you about the scope of your project.
- Is it a complete landscape design?
- Do you want to have it done in stages?
- Do you want to do some of the work yourself?
- What about maintenance? Do you want to take care of your plantings once they are done, or do you need low-maintenance landscaping? Maybe, you might wish your landscape designer to put you on a maintenance program with their company.
- Will you need irrigation/sprinklers or even a new location for your hose connection to make watering easier?
- What colors would you like to see in your garden? How about textures?
- Are you interested in Native Plants to attract pollinators?
- How about a new pathway to your backyard?
- Or are you wanting to screen your yard from the neighbors?
- Did you have a specific type of water feature in your plan?
- Are you trying to fix a current issue? For example, is there a drainage problem in your yard?
Would you like to have lighting as part of your project?
- In what time frame would you like the work completed? A professional landscaper will know how much time to budget for your job.
- What kind of budget do you have? Pete told me that they could generally give a rough estimate on simple things, but they will get back to you within the week with a site plan of your home, 3-D Renders, so you can visualize before you decide. Plus, a cost estimate of your project.
While walking the property, Pete told me that they typically are already getting good ideas that they can share with you.
- Will there be any issues?
- And what sort of plants will do well.
Something that I talk about a lot is hiring a local. Most local professional landscapers shop at local garden centers. Pete and Walter were at Behnke’s, many times, with their clients. Pete and Walter, and other landscapers have relationships with other professionals needed to complete your project. Frequently this means savings on products such as plants, mulch, decking, and stone, to name a few. Getting the necessary permits if need while scheduling Miss. Utility is part of the landscape design, As is managing the entire project.
I am still in the thinking stage myself of what I want in my backyard. We tore down our wooden deck over 15 years ago and have not been able to go out our dining room door since. I visualize beautiful wide stone steps off the dining room to a large stone patio. However, I am a procrastinator, as you can tell, with 15 years of not using a door. While writing this article, I have been listening to ’70s and 80’s music with my toes tapping to Boogie Shoes by KC and The Sunshine Band. I can see it now, twinkling lights, music, food, family, and friends. Fun times!
I hope if you are considering having some landscaping done or want your yard cleaned up, you get in touch with Zabrene Scapes. You can reach them by calling 301-503-1528.